👩🎓🍃💻 Are you a student in the field of data engineering or data science, looking to gain experience in a dynamic tech start-up?
In this project, you’ll work as a detective to find bottlenecks, which stand in the way of the growth of our impact.
At Seita Energy Flexibility, we work on a crucial part of climate tech infrastructure. To completely convert to renewable energy, scheduling flexible assets like batteries and heat pumps intelligently is needed across the world. We create FlexMeasures, an intelligent energy management system (EMS) for this in the open, and we offer it commercially in a software-as-a-service (SaaS) model.
What you’ll learn here is highly valuable in the rest of your career in data engineering or data science, as all companies understand the value. You’ll also contribute to our open source software, which is great for your resume. Plus, you’ll help with the digital energy transition across the world.
It can be possible to use the results in a (Bachelor) thesis or project report.
About the project
Our IoT-based platform receives many sensor data points, and to compute the greenest and cheapest schedules, it has to load this data. For us to be able to grow further, we have to identify and resolve bottlenecks in the speed of these data pipelines.
In more detail: Our web application is written in Python and receives time series data per API. It gets re-formatted to our internal format and saved to PostgresDB. We read the data with SQL, and sometimes add some computations (in Pandas, e.g. to resample to another resolution).
Partly, this is an ETL project (ETL == Extract, transform, load).
In this project, you will:
- Implement a structure to find out where our platform needs too much time (e.g. with logging, database analytics or continuous profiling, which is more modern).
- Identify and describe the bottleneck(s).
- Discuss and design a solution, together with us.
- Implement one or more solutions and measure improvements.
What do we offer you?
- Flexible working hours
- An internship payment (to be discussed)
- Experience with a task that is highly valuable to companies
- Get introduced to the energy sector and the open source software proposition
- Being part of a growing tech startup, working directly with founders
- Chance to increase sustainability across the world
Skills & Requirements
- Analytical skills.
- Knowledge of Python
- Experience with databases and SQL
- Experience with larger time series data sets is a plus
- Experience with Docker might be a plus
- Excellent communication skills – in communication with people and when structurally expressing findings.
- Fluency in English or Dutch.
- Ability to work in a timezone close to CET.
At Seita, we believe in diversity and therefore welcome all applicants regardless of gender, background, sexual orientation or beliefs.